Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chain Lace Hat

The Chain Lace Hat.  Let's start with the story of how this hat came into being (at least my version of this hat as I am sure their are others out there).  I was trying to find out what type of projects the ladies in the valley would want to learn how to make.  I was expecting practical things (or I was projecting what I thought they needed-that is a mistake missionaries make a lot).  What they asked for was unexpected.  They wanted decorative stocking caps that were more like lace in appearance but not necessarily protective.  Please understand that description went beyond my Swahili skill level and the English level of my translators.  We basically went through pictures and they said what all they liked.  It took about an hour in total.

So then I figured out how to make the various components they wanted.  In making this pattern I used Kenyan 4 ply yarn that is fairly small and an F size crochet hook.  I adjust the pattern to fit the individual head I am shooting for so gauge was not done.  This particular hat was done for a young girl (10-15 years old).  

I started at the bottom and worked to the top which is very different from most stocking caps that I do.  The ribbed band is made by chaining 11 then double crochet (dc)  in fourth from hook and dc in each chain after that for 8 sc.  Chain 3 and turn but I worked in the back loop to create the ribbed effect as I dc in each stitch back across.  I did 67 rows of this and then as I went back across I worked the dc through the original chains that started everything and the last row to join my work.


I then chained 7 and then slip stiched into the end of the fourth row.  I repeat this all the way around doing it  17 times.    The next round is chain 7 and slip stitch into the 4th chain of the previous round.  The third round is done the same as the last round.  The fourth round I do 5 chains and slip stitch into the 4 chain of the previous round again.  The fifth round is 5 chains ans slip stitch into the third chain of the previous round.  The sixth, seventh and eighth round are the same as the fifth.  The ninth round is 3 chains and slip stitch into the third chain of the previous round.  The tenth round is 3 chains and slip stitch into the 2nd chain of the previous round.  The 11th, 12th and 13th round are the same as the tenth round.  The 14th round is 1 chain and slip stitch into 2nd chain of the previous round.  The 15th round is a decreasing single crochet stitch (insert hook into first stitch and pull through a loop then insert in second stitch and pull through a loop then yarn over and pull through all three loops.  I continue this until it is closed at the top.  This would work really wear with some type of adornment at the top like a fuzzy ball or flower tied into the top.  After I close in the top I tie off and work in my threads.


It was a quick project with the majority of time on the ribbed band.  For ladies with larger hair than the girls here in Tanzania  I would recommend making it bigger in the chain stitch-possibly doing 9 chains to start with and then doing the 7 chain stitch for a while before decreasing down to hold the hair in. 





No comments:

Post a Comment